About the project
Creating Safe Spaces is a resource and training project developed by Dakota OutRight. Our goal is to equip educators, counselors, and all kinds of youth-serving professionals to learn more about supporting LGBTQIA youth and creating safe spaces within their organization. The toolkits come with an array of resources so that you can make a circle of impact, no matter how small. And there are enough resources per toolkit to share with multiple professionals from one organization.
The primary component is our Creating Safe Spaces resource toolkit, which is available FREE of charge. We ask that organizations and professionals who use the toolkit attend a face-to-face training, which will be offered quarterly. The training will take you through the resource guide, but will also look deeper at ways schools can become more welcoming to diverse families, as well as take participants through in-depth, interactive skills building and role play exercises.
What’s in the toolkit?
- Creating Safe Spaces Resource Guide with the following sections: Identity vs. Orientation, Messages and Climate, Increasing Supports and Creating Safe Spaces, and Resources
- “This is a Safe Space” window decals for your office or workspace
- Safe Space Guidelines posters to create with youth and hang in common areas
- Brochures for Dakota OutRight and Creating Safe Spaces for Youth
- “I Create Safe Spaces” silicone bracelets for increased visibility as a safe person when out of office
If you would like to receive a toolkit, please register below. You will also receive updates on our training opportunities and any other new resources affiliated with this project. Toolkits now available!